Investing budgets and resources in a project is a decision that is linked to a fundamental aspect: ROI. The first question entrepreneurs ask, even when they intend to go through an energy requalification of their sites, is : “What will be the return on this Investment?“. The only way to be sure of this is to use forecasting and monitoring tools that respect the IPMVP® protocol.
In this article we will clarify the importance of knowing and relying on this convention. Here are the topics we will cover:
- Why was the IPMVP® originally developed
- Who wrote the IPMVP®
- Benefits of using IPMVP
- Request a DEMO of Energis.Cloud, software that uses IPMVP-compliant models and calculations
IPMVP® is an acronym which, written in full, is self-explanatory: International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol. It is a convention that has aimed to standardise at an international level the ways in which the performances of energy, water and renewable energy projects are measured and verified.
Why was it needed?
As stated in the EVO® website itself, which we will talk about shortly, energy savings are not directly measurable as they represent the absence of consumption of an energy source. The only way to determine real energy savings is to compare the consumption before and after the implementation of some measures or, even better, the implementation of an efficiency improvement project.
The scope of the international protocol is to establish exactly what and how to measure, so as to guarantee uniformity and clarity.
EVO® is a non-profit organization whose services and products help professionals manage and invest in energy efficiency projects. In particular, the organisation aims to ensure that the savings and the impact of such projects can be measured in an accurate and verifiable manner.
In EVO®, the internal commission dedicated to IPMVP® is composed of volunteers (all qualified professionals) from all over the world who are committed to developing and updating the protocol, promoting the dissemination of energy efficiency tools and best practices.
What is the committee working on?
The IPMVP promotes efficiency investments by the following activities:
- By defining common terms and methods to evaluate performance of efficiency projects for buyers, sellers and financiers.
- By providing methods for determining savings either for the whole facility or for individual energy conservation measures (ECM).
- By specifying the contents of a Measurement and Verification Plan (M&V Plan). This M&V Plan should produce verifiable savings reports. An M&V Plan must be developed for each project by a qualified professional.
- IPMVP applies to a wide variety of facilities including existing and new buildings and industrial processes.
What are the benefits of using IPMVP?
The protocol offers the possibility to measure with seriousness and impartiality the savings obtained in the company thanks to the implementation of projects including energy efficiency, water and renewable sources. In particular:
- when financial payments are based on demonstrated energy or water savings, as in the case of Energy Performance Contracts (EPC), adherence to IPMVP ensures that savings follow good practice. An IPMVP-adherent savings report allows a customer, an energy user or a utility, to readily accept reported performance. Energy service companies (ESCOs) whose invoices are supported by IPMVP-adherent savings reports, usually receive prompt payments.
- for professionals such as ESCO and Energy Managers, specification of IPMVP as the basis for designing a project’s M&V can simplify the negotiations for an energy performance contract. the use of a tool to forecast costs and benefits of a project based on this protocol also eliminates the risk of discussions.
- your reports, if drafted with IPMVP® based softwares, enjoy greater credibility and value, representing a competitive advantage for energy professionals
- a reference is offered at the level of tools and methodologies that allows companies to promote and reach energy saving objectives more easily.
Choose a software that Measures and Verifies Savings in accordance with IPMVP guidelines
Our Energy management software, Energis.Cloud, has been programmed in compliance with the IPMVP® to fully support the activity of energy professionals and companies.
We all know that consumption is influenced by many factors, such as weather conditions and building occupancy. Energis.Cloud uses complex Artificial Intelligence algorithms that identify these factors and link them to consumption with great precision. Energis.Cloud is the only software on the market capable of identifying energy models in just a few clicks and in line with the International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol.
The resulting consumption baselines can be used to optimise energy performance (generating intelligent alerts), forecast consumption and production of energy and calculate savings before and after project implementation, under the same conditions. In the image below we can appreciate the different criteria used for the creation and use of extremely precise models that guarantee the correct forecast of energy consumption and the determination of the savings achieved.
Would you like to know how we could help you?